Its been a long time since I’ve read a book that completely sucks me in to the point where the only time I put it down is if I have to use the bathroom. I don’t even stop to eat. I just eat and read. This morning I kept reading while cooking. Yes I’m that dedicated. lol.
Anyway, so I randomly purchased the book Divergent. I’m sure most of you have heard that this book is going to be a “major motion picture”. When I see movies coming out and havent read the books yet. I usually try to read the books before I see the movie. Cause you know, the books are always better? By the way, I have yet to see a movie that trumps the book. I have however read horrible books and the movies were just as bad.
I’m getting off track. So I purchased Divergent and read the first few pages the day I got it. Instantly I must say that I was intrigued. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.
So for those who still want to read the book just to warn there will be spoiler alerts ahead:
So the story is about a young girl named Beatrice who lives in one of 5 factions:
- Abnegation: the faction of selflessness. They put others before themselves. They don’t believe in vanity and they dress in modest gray clothing so as not to draw any attention to their bodies and all that jazz. They don’t even look in mirrors for goodness sake. They get to sit in front of a mirror every 3 mths in order to get their hair cut and even then they don’t look in the mirror.
- Amity: the faction of peace. They strive to avoid conflict at all costs. They are the only faction that laughs, plays and shows any type of affection. They wear bright colors like red and yellow and they work out in nature. In crop field and orchards. They are against all types of violence and they have a “serum” that they give the members of their faction that MAKES them feel happy and keep the peace.
- Condor: the faction of truth. They believe in the truth and nothing but the truth. they do not lie about anything. They wear black and white because they don’t believe in gray areas. They only see things as true or false, black and white.
- Erudite: the faction of knowledge. Made of people who are constantly seeking knowledge. Intelligent people who enjoy learning of new things always. They wear at least one blue article of clothing because it has been proven that the color blue as a calming effect. They are very serious and focused.
- Dauntless: the faction of power, strength and bravery. This faction is the most intense out of all. They take unnecessary risks and death is just another part of life for them. They are the security for the other factions. They do patrol and protect everyone from outside the Gate. What is out there no one knows….YET. You must be able to conquer your fears in order to make it in the dauntless. They wear black and usually have multiple tattoos and piercings.
- Factionless: The factionless are not necessarily a faction. The factionless are made up of people who were unable to make it past initiation of one of the five factions. Whether it be dropping out of initiation, or failing to complete the tasks required. These people usually end up doing the jobs that now one wants to do. Janitorial, garbage man etc. For the most part they are homeless and rely on the Abnegation for food and clothing.
So our main character is named Beatrice and she belongs to the faction Abnegation. But something isn’t right. She doesn’t feel like she is truly Abnegation. When a young person in a faction turns 16 they must go through a placement test. For most initiates the placement test is simple they are put through a simulation and must make a few choices, the result of these choices leaves them with an IDEA of what faction they can transfer to. They have an option. They can choose to stay in their current faction or they can choose to transfer. For Beatrice however it’s not as simple. She takes the placement test and goes through the simulation but its different. She doesn’t follow protocol. When she emerges from the simulation she is secretly informed that she is Divergent. She must keep this fact a secret. She must not trust or tell anyone. So the story progresses and then on the to the ceremony where the initiates choose. So Beatrice ends up choosing Dauntless. Her father is pissed and her mom just smiles are her. This will be the last time she will be with her parents as their child. Now she is Dauntless and an adult.
So she has to run out of the building with the Dauntless and then jump on a moving train. She then has to jump off a moving train onto a roof then jump off a roof into the unknown. She chooses a new name, Tris, and is soon known as “the girl who jumped first” and it’s just complete chaos. So the story progresses and she begins her Dauntless training. And as the story gets going of course she meets a guy how makes her all nervous and junk. His name is Four. She ends up getting bullied a lot cause she comes across weak and fragile. She slowly progresses up the charts and ends up in the top 10. All those that are fall short of the top ten become factionless. So Beatrice, now known as Tris, gets stronger.
She forms relationships and ends up enjoying her time in Dauntless. Phase one of Dauntless training is all about physical. Second Phase is all about mental. They inject you with a serum that makes you go into a simulation and you must face your deepest fears. Tris is in the simulation with Four watching over the whole thing and he soon realizes that she is Divergent! What?! Oh NO! Shes supposed to keep it secret! The whole thing about being divergent is that you are self-aware during the simulations where as a normal person would not realize they are in a simulation. So Tris is capable of changing her simulation on a whim and she can also wake herself up. So anyway turns out Four is divergent too. Whoa couldn’t see that one coming. They both fall in love. Awwwww. And discover that the Erudite are planning an attack on abnegation. They start to think of a way to warn them. In the process of this all she has to take one final test and face the Fear Landscape. Where it is a simulation but you yourself are completely aware and you are not drugged or anything. The landscape around you takes shape and changes itself to match your fear. So Tris had no worries about being noticed in these simulations because she is supposed to be self-aware. After she passed with flying colors they inject her with a “tracer”. Totally normal. It’s a new thing that the Erudite came up with to help Dauntless keep track of all their members. Well turns out NO! It’s a way to CONTROL the Dauntless members and march them off to war and kill over half the Abnegation faction. Oh so annoying.
The war begins and Tris and Four are the only ones not under the influence of the serum due to their awesome divergent brains. They try to fight their way out but are soon caught. SUPER LONG STORY SHORT. Tris is rescued by her mother who is also Dauntless and also part of a small portion of the population that knows the real reason they are all there. Oh yeah and she’s Divergent. Four is injected with a different serum and goes nuts and almost kills Tris. Tris loses both of her parents in the fight and she stops the simulation and manages to rescue Four as well who is also known as Tobias Eaton. The son of Marcus Eaton who supposedly beat the snot out of his kid so much so that he transferred to Dauntless. (sorry I forgot to mention that.) They escape with Marcus, Tris’ brother Caleb and one of the Dauntless Traitors Peter. Yeah you heard right. Some of the Dauntless were in on the whole thing. Horrible. They escape to the Amity faction where they recover for some time. But it is soon short-lived and they must decide their next course of Action.
Keep in mind that A WHOLE CRAP TON of pieces of the story missing this is just an overall look at this story. So I loved the first book. Absolutely could not put it down. I recently finished the second book. Also could not put that down. And I’m currently getting read to start the third book.
It was a great book and I totally recommend it. It was a nice change of pace from some of these other books that have been talked about these past years. NO love triangle as of yet. Cant imagine one forming in the last book so that was a nice change. The girl is a strong-willed, independent, fight back type of girl. The guy is the protector but he is always a tough guy who doesn’t sugar coat things. The love between the two is generally sweet but sometimes takes a turn for the “oh gosh she just needs to stop being so whiny and communicate for once.” Its one thing I hope that someday we can get away from stuff like that. To have a really strong female character suddenly fall apart and become someone who is irrational and crazy is upsetting. I want someone who can handle the heartbreak in a normal healthy manner instead of relying on a kiss to make everything seem ok. Instead of acting out and screaming and very nearly killing yourself because you just want to be dead. Or even avoiding the whole deep dark depression. Cant we have just one healthy-minded heroine that handles the situations with grace and understanding. Someone who can look at what has happened and cry, then heal, then move on. Characters that are actually capable of communicating and having decent conversations instead of fighting and then making out. It can get to be ridiculous.
I’m really looking forward to seeing how the movie does. It should definitely make for a great film. But like I said before. I have yet to see a movie that is as good as the books!
Anyway that is my summary of the book Divergent. When I get the chance I will do the same for Insurgent and Allegiant. Stay Tuned!